FASD INTERVENTION SERVICES
Provides caregivers with tools to support a child or youth diagnosed with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD). FASD Intervention support services help families develop strategies based on the strengths and abilities of the individual youth or child.
Biological, foster, adoptive & kinship care givers of children (0 to 18 years) with an FASD diagnosis
Funded / Accessed by: Region 3:Calgary and Area Child and Family Services Authority, Calgary Fetal Alcohol Network and Alberta Government Cross Ministries.
The FASD Intervention Services program is for caregivers caring for a child with a diagnosis of FASD. For referrals, please call: 403.295.2944 ext. 222.
WHAT IS FASD?
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) is a diagnostic term used to describe impacts on the brain and body of individuals prenatally exposed to alcohol. FASD is a lifelong disability. Individuals with FASD will experience some degree of challenges in their daily living, and need support with motor skills, physical health, learning, memory, attention, communication, emotional regulation, and social skills to reach their full potential. Each individual with FASD is unique and has areas of both strengths and challenges. support are at risk of secondary challenges.
Enviros FASD Intervention Services serves biological, foster, adoptive, and kinship caregivers of children (0 to 18 years) with an FASD diagnosis. The program uses an intentional developmental model that takes into account each individual child, rather than executing a ‘one size fits all’ program.
Our well trained and experienced staff provides support for children, youth & families living with FASD by:
- Providing caregivers and families with the information and tools required to effectively parent a child or youth with FASD.
- Offering innovative support to families to decrease the chance of placement breakdown.
- Assisting caregivers and families in recognizing the strengths and abilities of the youth or child.
- Helping caregivers and families develop strategies based on recommendations in the medical assessment.
- Focusing on the strengths of the child to promote a better understanding of what environmental changes are needed to take place for the child to be successful.
Enviros provides practical assistance with:
- Connection to community
- Developing/maintaining positive relationships
- Development of Natural Supports
Enviros helps individuals by:
- Ensuring an understanding of how the individual is impacted by FASD
- Strategy Development
- Follow-Up on Assessment Recommendations
Enviros helps to build an informed network of support including:
- Natural Supports
- Professional Supports (School/Vocational, social workers, youth workers, respite providers, etc.)
- Access to other relevant Community Resources
We honor those who’ve been part of the agency and the stories of their time here.